Sunday, September 14, 2008

Socks Socks Socks

Jenn tagged me for this sock meme. Which would have been the perfect ending to my “Summer of Socks,” but it wasn’t as “sock-ful” as I had imagined. I only managed 3 pair and 2 ½ singles. Somehow I lost steam after the first pair. I was always the student in high school who loved to read, but not what we were assigned (even if I liked the book). I think it has to do with being told what to do. So maybe I jinxed myself.

When did you first learn to knit socks? About 4 years ago. My mom had requested a pair for Christmas. I thought I would knit her a pair and that would be it (humm..that sould like my story about knitting in general…)

What’s the first sock you ever knit? The pair for my mom was made from a very fine wool from Rhinebeck. I used a basic pattern, but with a lace trim from Nicky Epstein’s Knitted Embellishments (Amazon Link) (Ravelry Link).

Favorite Sock Pattern? I like a little interest in my socks, but nothing too difficult to memorize. Socks are always a good subway project, so I can’t be pulling out a chart (esp. if I don’t get a seat). Jaywalkers and Embossed Leaves are at the top of my list (sorry, only Ravelry links here, I am too lazy. If you don't have a Ravelry Account yet...why? It's free AND fun).

Favorite needle method? Magic Loop R-O-C-K-S. Thank you Heather for turning me on to the brilliance of this method. Other than that, I usually work toe up. If I have a big skein, I will spilt it in half and work till I run out of yarn. I also do a Turkish Cast-on.

Favorite sock needles? Addi Turbos, size 0 32" – I knit really loose.

Who do you knit socks for? Mostly me. I have made a few pairs for my mom, a pair for my sister-in-law, a pair for Amie and a yet to be gifted pair for Lisa.

How many pairs have you knitted to date? I think about 12-15. Not sure.

What is on your sock knitting to-do list? I love Ester, but as I will need to pay close attention to this pattern, it will have to wait till I have the time to sit and give them the concentration they deserve.

What kind of socks do you like to knit-
striped? No, too many ends.
colorwork? NO WAY. I hate colorwork. I always pull too tight. Too many yarns to get tangled. See above about ends.
plain stockinette? Sure, these are perfect subway socks.
cabled? Diddo what Jenn said. Even though I cable w/o a cable needle, it’s still a pain in A** to do cables on such small needles.
lace? I am a girly girl.
anklets? Not yet. I just don’t see the purpose in my wardrobe.
knee socks? Too much of a commitment. I need something fast when it comes to socks.
solid colors? I tend to do semi-solids more than solids. Kogiu, Claudia (it is really weird not typing –ine)
bright and crazy? Not really. In general I am drawn to softer colors. Usually anything that has a grey or brown undertone. I especially like pastels.
Faux Faire Isle (where the yarn is doing all the work) I have no desire for the most part. But I do want to make some of the Kaffe Fasset Regia self striping yarn.

Jenn has been so busy with her new job we haven’t had time to compare notes about the sock-off. I am still pretty sure she is the hands-down winner. Although I do have a few single socks, so I shouldn’t count myself out yet. We are going to compare notes on Tuesday. So stay tuned to find out who the sock champion is.

In the meantime here is a picture of Amie in her birthday socks.

sock4

1 comment:

Passionknitly said...

I wouldn't be so sure you won. I really only knitted those long socks and one other pair before I was distracted by tank tops...