Meet Clementine. One of the Blabla dolls.
I bet you are wondering why I am showing you an orange sock monkey. One of our needlepoint customers has a 4 year old daughter who loves this monkey. She loves it so much that she takes it with her everywhere she goes. She even has a backup doll in case she can't find the original. She loves this monkey so much that when her mom asked her what she wanted to be for Halloween, she didn't hesitate.
This is where I come in.
The mother has commissioned me to make a costume for her daughter. A 4 year old sized Clementine.
I started with the easy part. The tail:
I cast on 18 stitches and magic looped it till I thought it will be long enough. It should be long enough that the child can twirl and move the tail, but not step on it when she walks (safety first!)
Then I made some cute little mittens:
I used this pattern. I made the child's size, so I hope it fits. They were pretty fast too.
The hard part so far? The Monkey head. The mother and I both agreed that we didn't want to obstruct the child's face (again, I cite safety). My first thought was to make a balaclava. I started using this helmet pattern. But it wasn't quite right:
I started thinking about how to make the heart shaped portition of the monkey face. And then it hit me -- I need to make a cross between a traditional hat and a balacava! But I still had the issue of the heart shape. I knew the answer would include intartsia. So I Ravelry'd "Monkey." The very last pattern was the Punk Rock Backpack from the first Stitch 'n Bitch book. I was so excited that not only had someone else already done the chart for me...but I already owned the book.
I am really happy with the result. I also finished the ears, but haven't sewn them on yet:
I started the leg of the first pant...haven't gotten too far. I need to buckle down tomorrow and see how far I can get:
Keeping checking back to see my progress...and if I will make my deadline!