Friday, February 4, 2011

Quick Catch-up

Holy Cow, it’s been awhile since my last post. How does time get away so quickly?

Today is my mom’s birthday. Unfortunately she has the winter blues. But now she has a pair of blue socks to go with

Mom's Socks

I called her last night and had her open the package early. She loves socks that go with denim (she is a little more matchy-matchy than me), so she loved the color. I made them toe up and made them really long (something else she likes in her socks).

This was my first attempt at the Fleegal heel.

Fleegal

I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it either. I have noticed that I always wear my socks in the same spot (whether they are hand knit or store bought) and have been trying to figure out a better way to reinforce the bottom part of the heel. I was hoping that this would lend itself to that and although they probably would, I think I want to try this toe-up heel flap instead using a slip stich pattern on the flap for my next socks for me.

I used Cascade Heritage Paints (I think it is color 9872 – I didn’t keep the label or put the info on Ravelry). This is really nice sock yarn and I will use it again. The yardage is also amazing - 437 yards!

Since it has been so long since my last post, I didn’t get a chance to show you my holiday window at the store. As you may remember I saw those really cool yarn trees at Macy’s and wanted to do something similar. I couldn’t figure out what to use as a base for a tree…so I just used our mannequins instead:

Wrapped mannequin

Jenn got a really good close-up shot of it with the lights on:

266 | 365

It was hard to get a good picture of it in the window with the lights on…but I have to say that it did look pretty cool. I wish I could have kept them wrapped for next year, but they are the only mannequins we have.

2 comments:

kara said...

Pretty socks and christmas display! Nice job.

Passionknitly said...

Thanks for linking to the yarn365 flickr!